Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Next Time, a Root Beer Float...


August 20, 2011:

A few of us that remained waiting to ship out to our assignments visited Camp Phoenix, a US Army base within close proximity to our camp.  It’s a large installation with a PX and haji shops (local merchants selling their various wares). As we traveled towards our destination in our two truck convoy, I felt uneasy at what little traffic was out and about. The one other time I visited Camp Phoenix, the roads were choked with vehicles. It’s common knowledge that the presence of many people out and about in public is usually a good sign (apparently, signifying that the locals haven’t heard anything about imminent attacks.) My feelings were relieved when I was reminded that today was Friday, a Sabbath, so to speak, for Muslims in Afghanistan.  Since it was a day of rest, traffic would not start to pick up until later in the day. 
When we arrived at Phoenix, we stopped as required, showing our ID’s to the guards, then unloaded our weapons at the designated area.  Once the vehicles were parked, it felt good to remove the body armor and secure our rifles in the truck.  Before starting out for the PX to buy the items we needed, we decided to eat in the DFAC first.  The last time I came to Phoenix, we ate at the outdoor area that served hot dogs and hamburgers.  At the time, it was a welcomed treat.  However, after entering the DFAC, I was astounded at both the size and the variety of food from which to choose.  I intended to follow the group until I realized that at the first stop, gyro sandwiches were being served.  Waiting for my gyro, I watched the group disappear as they continued on.  After being served, I followed the line in front of me.  As those ahead were being served, I peeked around to see what lie ahead:  pork chops, a salad bar, tuna fish, hot dogs, hamburgers, and more that I didn’t get to see, since I didn’t want to get too far separated from our group.  Turning into the seated area, I searched up and down, attempting to find my colleagues – all to no avail.  It was then that I realized on the other side of a wall, there was ANTOHER seating area, with additional serving stations throughout.  This place was huge!  As I made my way to the other side, I walked past another serving area and spotted the group along the far wall. In order to reach them, I had to pass another salad bar, as well as other stations with drinks, desserts, and other eats that I chose to not even look at.  As I placed my tray on the table, I could feel myself grinning ear to ear.
The gyro was delicious.  One of the others left his seat momentarily and came back with the Holy Grail – a can of A&W root beer! ROOT BEER!!  I immediately asked him where he got it.  In his Texas accent, he said, “Rot thar” and motioned to a soda case behind me.  I turned to see where he was pointing and spied the A&W on the top shelf, above Fanta, Mountain Dew, and Diet Coke!  Without excusing myself I spun toward the stack of sodas and almost ran to get my can of A&W.  As I was stuffing the gyro sandwich into my mouth, I saw a string of people walk by with what looked like ice cream.  I followed the returning line to an ice cream case into which a server was bent over scooping ice cream for waiting soldiers, sailors, airmen, and contractors.   
OK folks. You know me.  After almost a month of relatively austere dining conditions, I had hit the jackpot!  Ice cream!  All you could eat – vanilla, chocolate, cookies and cream, strawberry – all with your choice of chocolate or caramel sauce, cherries, chocolate shavings, or crushed sugar cones!  I was beside myself.  I went easy, choosing a scoop each of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, then drizzling them with chocolate syrup.  I returned to my seat across from The Specimen.  I could tell by the smile on his face that he knew I was enjoying myself.  I took my time and savored it.  It was the best day I had since coming to the sandbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment