Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Assignment

August 22, 2011:

A few days after Rick and Ed left, I got word that I was to be assigned to Wardak.  Finally!!! The name was familiar since about two weeks prior, not too far from where the training center is situated, insurgents shot down a Chinook helicopter that was carrying a special ops crew. Conflicting preliminary reports indicated that the downed chopper might have been carrying part of SEAL Team Six, the group that killed Osama bin Laden.   A total of 38 people died, 30 of which were special forces members, 1 interpreter, and 7 Afghans.  It was the single most deadly loss of American lives since the war in Afghanistan began.  
The training venue was still under construction, but they were hopeful that it would be possible to accommodate a small group of us to prep the post for training. The first group would include me and three other T1G classmates, John (the Specimen) Green, Bob Molina from California, and Greg Fetsch from Oregon – a good group. We would get further word on when we were to deploy, possibly within a couple of weeks, but maybe a little bit longer since construction was still ongoing. 
Since there was still some time before reporting to my next assignment I was considering volunteering for the PSD (Personal Security Detail) course that the Specimen, Bob, and Greg were currently attending.  It sounded like good training, but after seeing my three exhausted classmates return from their days on the hot range, it didn’t necessarily look like fun.  
Furthermore, I was starting to develop some good relationships among the drivers and other members of the security teams.  A new class from T1G would soon be arriving, and they would be short-handed for the convoys.  Being understaffed meant many would be forced to grab some sleep when they could, such as in between convoys which would be scheduled at all times of the day and night.  Such was the plight of those on the security teams.  Normally, travel is restricted to daylight hours.  Since security team schedules were dictated by the various flight arrivals and departures throughout all hours, such rules didn’t apply to them.  When security concerns restrict travel for most, the teams must roll regardless of the hour, or the threat, since much of their movement is considered mission essential.    If I chose to attend training, I would be leaving them even more undermanned.  

A very unflattering shot of me preparing to head out on a security run.

Soon after I got word of my assignment, someone decided, either by chance or design, to put the Jersey guys together, and Patti moved into my room.  Since arriving at the camp he had been rooming with someone else, sleeping on a cot, so he was grateful to finally be getting a bed.  Where I had been assisting the security teams, Patti was making a mark for himself, helping the administrative staff with information technology issues.  Because of his past experience working in U.S. Customs, he was originally scheduled to work with the ABP (Afghanistan Border Patrol).  Within a few short weeks, he was quickly becoming an asset to the administrative team. 
On the first night in the room he spoke about the pros and cons of changing his contract from the more operational border patrol to an administrative position.  For the most part, he would remain at the camp as a “permanent” resident, working out of one of the offices there.  As such, he could wear “soft clothes”, rather than having to gear up every day in the “kit”, with two weapons.  He would also have to sign a new contract which would extend his mission termination date by about six weeks.  Additionally, he would have to work 7 days a week. More importantly though, he liked the type of work he’d be doing, and the position came with a higher salary.  He would have to make a decision in the next couple of days.
The conversation moved from the serious considerations of work to the more “low brow” type of humor of which we usually spoke.  I told him it would be good for me to have someone “on the inside” – someone who could help get me out of trouble, when needed.  Hell, maybe he could even get me a raise.  My drifting off to sleep was interrupted by laughing at his comments and one-liners.  The last I remembered saying was that if he took the job, he would go home smelling like the DFAC on his first break in December.  
Since I had to work a convoy, I woke up first, almost forgetting about the presence of my new roommate.  He woke from the sound of me peeling the Velcro apart on my vest.  Still groggy from his deep sleep on a mattress, Patti mumbled without moving his mouth, with his faced mushed into the pillow, “I dink dis was da best night’s sleep I had since coming here.” He immediately followed his statement with a loud fart. In reply I said, “Bless you” and thought, “Welcome aboard, Patti”.

No comments:

Post a Comment